Jeff Carl.
June 25, 2008
  Bad music or jealousy? Critics' attitudes bug me. My disclaimer to that statement is this: CriticISM is good (specifically constructive criticism), but I can't stand when people judge things too much. What I'm thinking about now is with music, but I guess it could be applied to movies, musicals, art, etc... I just can't stand when people get so hateful towards an artist.

Case in point: Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers, and the likes.

Now, I know with even mentioning those names, people are already cringing. That's my point. As fully aware as I am with the fact that Disney is out to make a lot of money, tween culture rules the lives of today's young generation, etc, it doesn't change the fact that there are lives involved. The other disclaimer of mine is this: I don't love everything that Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers put out. Part of me is baffled by the Hannah Montana Revolution and the JB Fanaticism. It can bug me at times, sure, but I'm never going to personally bash them because of their career choice.

Ok, reason for this rant is this. I went on to iTunes to check the new music for the week, and I saw that Jonas Brothers had a new song out ("Burnin' Up"). I listened to the preview, liked it, and I bought it. I saw that there were already over 2,000 reviews. I was interested to see some of the reviews. I also saw that Hannah Montana had a new single out recently (I haven't bought it), but I read the reviews for her "7 Things" song (almost 4,000 reviews already... crazy). Both had obvious positives from their fans, but I was specifically looking for the bad ones and was amazed by what I found.

"Their voices are soooo fake. They are just enhanced, the song writing is horrible, and it lacks any depth." (in regards to JB)

"This is awful. What is the world coming to when Disney teen acts rule the charts. These guys will be laughed at in a few years, and no one will know who they are. First Hannah Montana... then THIS? Bad song. Two of these guys are way to old to be doing stuff like this. Why do parents let their kids listen to this awful music. Please do not buy this!" (in regards to JB)

"She's awful. She can't sing. This is such a waste of money." (in regards to Miley Cyrus)

"Ok, Miley. Here's some unsolicited advice: DON'T SING!!! Your voice sounds manly and very, very wrong for this kind of music...." (in regards to Miley Cyrus)

"....her voice sounds like a pig...." (in regards to Miley Cyrus)


I could go on, but you get the picture. I don't know what I can't stand more... the fact that these people have no sense of understood appreciation or that they don't realize themselves how stupid they sound. I realize that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I don't think it's fair when it digs deeper than what they're supposedly referring to. Maybe you don't like someone's song, but you don't say things like, "she sounds like a pig." That's just immature.

I don't understand what peoples' issues are with Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers are. It seems like it should be a simple equation: If someone's music isn't your style, don't listen to it. Simple as that. Not a big deal. So WHAT is the issue? Maybe it's that they're under the Disney umbrella, so people just figure that they "floated to the top" as opposed to working for it, or they got famous because they're rich or because their daddy's already in the industry. My reply to that is WHO CARES? Regardless of the fact that HM or JB are money making, cookie cutter, pitch-corrected (like everybody else), Disneyesque, etc... it doesn't take away from the fact that Miley Cyrus, Nick Jonas, Kevin Jonas, and Joe Jonas are human beings with dreams just like you and me.

So honestly, people, what's bugging you more... the fact that their music isn't necessarily your personal style, or is it that they "easily" floated to the top of the charts while we're sitting here complaining about who had the last of the leftover chocolate cake? They got off their butts and followed their dreams, one way or another, and are living the life of their dreams. Who are we to take personal attacks on them, even if their music is enhanced, cookie cutter, and whatever. Obviously they're doing something right, because they've reached their target audience instantly. I mean, how many national tours have sold out in less than five minutes before? And how easy is it to have four songs simultaneously on the iTunes top 10 list? I could keep going, but I guess what I'm trying to get across is simple. Think before you just go and bash someone personally, without taking it account that they are human beings who've worked hard and maybe just maybe deserve all the success and attention they're getting. Not to mention the tens of millions of kids that are having a great time listening to their music all over the world instead of listening to other types of music that deal only with violence, drugs, sex, etc. Give them a break, people.

ptsh... I know if I had the option, I'd love to be living their schedule right now. 
Comments:
yeah as much as i like to rag on both of those music acts, i totally agree with you: i'd KILL to do what they're doing...uhhh figuratively speaking of course:-P

not to mention their tunes are quite catchy and ALWAYS get stuck in my head...gah. lol.
 
haha.... yeah. that's exactly what i'm talking about. i'm like... "okay, sure... maybe they're 15 year olds singing about love and war-torn stories, but hey... their tunes are REALLY catchy and maybe just maybe are good. So get over yourself." haha.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States
Archives
December 2005 / January 2006 / May 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / May 2009 / October 2009 / Check out older posts at jeffcarl.blogspot.com and jeffcarl.easyjournal.com.