Jeff Carl.
August 25, 2008
  the line If I'm having a day that I'm not necessarily "fired up" about Jesus or doubting beliefs, etc, I wonder why. I struggle with the concepts of "what if" and "why." Why do I believe what I believe? What proof have I discovered for myself that solidifies Christianity? There is a part of me that's like, "God, why couldn't I have just lived back in your day on earth. If I had seen you in person, everything would be so much easier to believe." Right before God ascended back into Heaven at the end of his time on earth, he gave the great commission. If I had been there, you better believe I'd want to go tell people about it and not be afraid or confused. I would've just seen a friggin "human" float up into the sky! Uhhh... hello!?


But now it's been 2,000 years. Two thousand years later, and yes, we have the Bible, but in a sense, what we've been given is "word of mouth." The problem is that I feel like the Bible just leads to cyclic thinking.

"Why is the Bible true?"
"Because God says it is."
"Oh, oh... cool. How do you know God said that?"
"Because it's in the Bible."

....huh.

Two thousand years. The proof. Wouldn't it just be so much easier if Christianity was just a fact. You could still choose whether or not you'd want to follow it, but at least it would be a fact. Now, if some people are reading this and getting all freaked out wondering if I'm questioning my faith and going off the deep end, rest assured... I'm okay. I'm just simply stating my thoughts on how I struggle with the faith aspect of Christianity. I'm okay with "believing" off of word of mouth/literature. We do that all the time. I just struggle with knowing that the evidence I wish existed... doesn't.

And I know people say, "well there IS evidence." I know, I know. I know there's "supporting proof" for certain aspects of the Bible. Sweet. But there obviously isn't the proof that I'm talking about, because if there was proof for everything in the Bible.... actual FACTUAL TRUTH, then a whole lot more people would believe.

Frustrating.

 
Comments:
that's amazing part about being a christian though...the whole concept of faith. and God chooses to reveal himself to each person whether they want solid, cold facts or if they want to see a miracle happen...he knows what it takes to make people believe. but yeah, it's frustrating when YOU know what's what, but trying to explain to others the WHY and the HOW can seem so pointless sometimes...that's why i usually just talk about how my own life has been affected and why i personally believe. of course, i have days where i feel like a crappy christian too...that's why it's not about feelings. it's just about knowing.

and the rest is just up to God:)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States
Archives
December 2005 / January 2006 / May 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / May 2009 / October 2009 / Check out older posts at jeffcarl.blogspot.com and jeffcarl.easyjournal.com.